Last week the Pope said that the Catholic church is too “obsessed” with homosexuality, abortion, and birth control. I think he’s right, but it’s not just the Catholic church who is obsessed with homosexuality and abortion – it’s everyone.
From a media perspective it’s easy to see why these topics have become so popular. There are six reasons I can think of:
1. Topics that require less research or data to form an opinion are more popular with the audience (compare abortion to a complex economic idea),
2. The less history necessary to understand a topic the more popular with the audience (homosexuality doesn’t require a viewer to understand our complex history with the middle-east),
3. Topics that result in an evenly divided opinion are more popular (everyone has someone to argue with),
4. Topics that are safe for media and politicians to discuss are more popular (the politician doesn’t have to answer “scary” questions about topics that may not be popular with their constituents),
5. The easier a politician or media outlet can predict their audience’s stance on an issue the more they will promote that issue (because they know how to please their audience).
6. Involves sex.
It seems like homosexuality and abortion both fit the bill.